Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Have No Mouth But I must Scream


 I Have No Mouth but I Must Scream (IHNMIMS) was a good short story despite some questionable character traits. Unlike A.I. Showing a benevolent sentient being that is done wrong it shows a malevolent sentient supercomputer that kills the entire human race except for a few choice human beings to torment forever.
            IHNMIMS paints a portrait of a possible dark future for mankind. That we are eradicated and the few of us that are saved chose to die rather than survive because of being placed in a hell of mind games and physical torment.
 The amazing thing though is that AM does begin to feel just not the emotions David does. He feels hatred and rage instead of love and compassion because he feels that we are the enemy for creating its existence. What is the point of living forever if the life you live is a life you do not want? Would you not feel the same if the tables were turned trapped in a body that cannot move stuck with no one of your kind? AM while mentally a stupendous specimen hasn’t lived life and is the emotional equivalent of a child. I know that he has lived for hundreds of years but if you took a child and it had no one to teach it or tell it no how they would learn to be decent.
I suppose the main thing I learned from IHNMIMS is that if we do create artificial intelligence we need to take care of and nurture our creations like a child because that is what they are sciences children.

No comments:

Post a Comment